Development has the same meaning as section 616(b) of the Municipal Government Act, which defines development in the following way:
- a building or an addition to, or replacement or repair of a building and the construction or placing of any of them in, on, over or under land; or
- a change of use, or a building, or an act done in relation to land or a building that results in, or is likely to result in, a change in the use of the land or building; or
- a change in the intensity of use of land or a building or an act done in relation to land or a building that results in, or is likely to result in, a change in the intensity of use of the land; or
- an excavation or stockpile and the creation of either but does not include turning over soil with no immediate activity on the land in the near future.
In simpler terms a development permit allows for a specific type of building to be built on a specific parcel of land. Stipulations to a development permit can include but are not limited to:
- The allowed use of the property
- Intensity of the use
- Building height
- Building site coverage
- Setbacks from property lines
- And other building and parking requirements
Check with your municipal office regarding development permits and whether you require one.
County of Newell Permit & Process: